Every two years, the Goldstream Nature House is entirely transformed into a magnificent nature art gallery for the Nature of Island Artists Art Show. This renowned art show features local artists from Vancouver Island and the surrounding Gulf Islands who are inspired by our local natural history. Over the past twenty years this show has grown into a huge success as a fundraiser for the Goldstream Nature House. More than 100 artists participate in each show including well known locals such as Robert Bateman, Fenwick Lansdowne, Mark Hobson, Morgan Warren and many more. All proceeds from the sales of artwork go directly back towards environmental education here at Goldstream Provincial Park.
The Goldstream Nature House would like to extend a big thank you to all those who participated in the 2009 Nature of Island Artists Art Show, from artists to volunteers to visitors and purchasers. Your support has made this year's show another fundraising success. Despite this year's tough economy we were able to sell over 50% of the pieces in the show, a record number of sales! We also saw a 40% increase in the amount of donated pieces this year, making it even more worthwhile as a fundraiser for us. Thank you, artists, for your support and generosity in 2009.
2011 Nature of Island Artists Art Show
Art Show Quick Facts:
- Show runs from September 17th to October 10th, 2011 at the Goldstream Nature House
- Featuring nature-inspired art from over 70 local artists including Robert Bateman, Morgan Warren, Mark Hobson and many more!
- Not just paintings: show features nature art done in a variety of mediums including soapstone and wood sculpture, textiles, photography, prints, art cards, and more.
- Easy to take home the piece(s) you love! Just bid in our silent auction (running for the duration of the show) or purchase the piece outright!
- Feel good about your purchase: All proceeds from the sales of art go directly towards sustaining environmental education at Goldstream Provincial Park.
- Fun for kids too: Complete a scavenger hunt which takes kids around the show getting them to make close observations of the artwork with a prize at the end!
- Check out the nature-inspired murals done by the winning classes of our 2009 Youth Art Challenge!
A Celebration of Life and History in Nature
As you may know this year is BC Parks’ centennial celebration and British Columbians are celebrating 100 years of life and 100 years of history in BC’s Provincial Parks. 100 years have past since the birth of our first park; but thousands of years have passed and thousands of births have occurred here in the GoldstreamRiver which is the heart of this ProvincialPark.
Following the disastrous April 16th, 2011 gas spill into Goldstream’s Salmon bearing river, the need to protect our natural world and increase awareness has been amplified. This year our theme will celebrate the history and the uniqueness of our natural environments.
For GoldstreamProvincialPark the life created in the river is what we celebrate as the history and the heart of the Park. Chris Paul, a member of the Tsartlip Nation and a Coast Salish artist has captured this unique celebration with his piece “Sockeye’.